An 18-month old boy pasted away Monday, at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center after being found unconscious in a backyard pool Sunday afternoon, fire officials said. The boy was playing with his brothers and sisters at the family home in the 4200 block of West Surrey Avenue when their mother went inside the house about 2:30 p.m. When she came back, she found the boy face down in the pool, authorities said.
The mother told firefighters the boy was wearing a life jacket when she went inside, but he was without one when she came out.
The child was limp and not breathing when she pulled him out of the pool, said Battalion Chief Kevin Riley.
Phoenix Fire has recorded 55 water-related incidents involving adults and children this year; 14 of them resulted in fatalities.
Reproduced with permission from:
The Arizona Republic
©Copyright 1999 Arizona Republic
Facts & Figures || Safety Tips || High Risk Profile
Current Stories & Events || Sponsors & Contributors
Children's Safety Zone|
Babysitting Safety || Fire Safety Index
Christmas Safety || Halloween Safety || Using 911