A 5-month-old child nearly drowned Saturday after being left alone in the bathtub of a home near Apache Junction.
The tot was alone in a child safety seat in the half-full tub for five minutes while his mother left the room, according to fire officials.
When she returned, the boy was face up and not breathing at the bottom of the tub, according to Rural/Metro Fire Department spokesman Jeff Stocker.
A relative in the home performed CPR and the child had a pulse by the time crews from Rural/Metro arrived, Stocker said.
The child was taken to Desert Samaritan Hospital in Mesa. He had been released by Sunday, according to hospital staff.
Stocker said the incident should remind parents to watch their children around any body of water, and not to rely on safety products to do it for them.
"There is nothing on the market that we can buy to take the place of adult supervision," Stocker said.
Reproduced with permission from:
The Arizona Republic
©Copyright 1999 Arizona Republic
Facts & Figures || Safety Tips || High Risk Profile
Current Stories & Events || Sponsors & Contributors
Children's Safety Zone|
Babysitting Safety || Fire Safety Index
Christmas Safety || Halloween Safety || Using 911