A 2-year-old Ahwatukee boy was in critical but stable condition Monday afternoon, a day after his father found him in a backyard pool.
Steve Lewellen found his son Collin in the pool at about 2:48 p.m. and began CPR, said Mike Sandulak, a division chief with Phoenix Fire Department.
Fire crews arrived moments later at the house in the 13400 block of South 46th Way and the child was taken to Banner Desert Medical Center Sandulak said.
By Monday afternoon, Collin had opened his eyes but was "not out of the woods yet," his father told Nancy Neff, director of public relations for Banner Children's Hospital.
Neff said Lewellen told her he "wanted to thank the firefighters, doctors and nurses and everybody that's praying for Collin."
Reproduced with permission from:
The Arizona Republic
by Elias C. Arnold and Colleen Sparks
©Copyright 2008 Arizona Republic
Facts & Figures || Safety Tips || High Risk Profile
Current Stories & Events || Sponsors & Contributors
Children's Safety Zone|
Babysitting Safety || Fire Safety Index
Christmas Safety || Halloween Safety || Using 911