PEORIA, AZ -- "There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about him," Robin Tarr said as she recalled her son's life.
Just a few weeks shy of his second birthday, Tarr lost her youngest son, Louis Garcia. The toddler drowned in the family pool while his father slept inside their Peoria home.
"He woke up before his dad did, and let himself out the sliding door," Tarr said.
Louis managed to unlatch the gate around the pool. It's not clear how long he was in the pool, but he never regained consciousness.
"You think that it's enough to shut the gate, but kids watch, kids learn, and that's what he did. He learned to open the gate before his father knew he could do it," she said.
Now, one year later, she hopes her son's life can make a difference.
"It's very important to me to make sure that my little boy's life was not in vane. He changed my life, and I will use his life to help change others and keep others safe."
Tarr urged parents to install proper safety equipment and take precautions around bathtubs and pools. She said above all, never leave children unattended, "This could happen to any of us. I never thought it would happen to me, but it did," She said. "Now my beautiful little boy is gone."
So far in the Valley this year, 22 people have drowned. Fourteen of them were adults, eight were children.
Reproduced with permission from:
©Copyright 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co.
Facts & Figures || Safety Tips || High Risk Profile
Current Stories & Events || Sponsors & Contributors
Children's Safety Zone|
Babysitting Safety || Fire Safety Index
Christmas Safety || Halloween Safety || Using 911