Feb 062011

AVONDALE, AZ – A young boy was air-lifted to a Phoenix hospital after nearly drowning in an Avondale backyard pool.

Avondale fire Chief Art Snapp said the 1.5-year-old boy was unconscious when he was found in the pool near 119th Avenue and McDowell Road Friday afternoon.

Snapp said the boy was home with his grandmother and the arcadia door leading to the backyard was open. He said the pool does not have a fence around it.

The grandmother told authorities the boy was in the pool between 15 and 20 seconds.

Snapp said the woman grabbed the unconscious child and ran through the house and out the front door where a passerby started CPR. The boy spit up water and began breathing on his own but was unconscious when transported by helicopter to Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Snapp said.

Check back later for updates.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.